Pink Mocktails for Valentine’s Day
In 2021, after a massive global study revealed that there’s no safe level of alcohol consumption, the internet saw an uptick of searches for mocktails and alcohol-free drinks recipes. I tried a few alcohol-free cocktail spirits, and thought I’d share my favorites with you in case you are also curious to see what the hype is all about. My first mocktail recipe theme is not exactly a surprise – Valentine’s Day falls on a Wednesday in 2024, and what’s our dress code for Wednesdays? Pink! You can treat your bestie or your loved ones with this fizzy pink citrusy mocktail that is equal parts fun, sweet, and sippable.
But first, a quick introduction to the brands mentioned in this post.
Established in 2020 in South Africa, Abstinence Spirits is relatively new to the game. The brand launched in the US in 2022 and had an overnight success, winning multiple gold and double-gold awards at Spirits Business, San Francisco World Spirits Competition and the IWSC. Their premium distilled non-alcoholic spirits and aperitifs are made in small batches, and the flavors are inspired by the unique biodiversity of Cape Floral Kingdom in South Africa.
Betty Buzz was founded by our favorite Gossip Girl alum, Blake Lively, with the idea that drinks should be held to the same standard as our food – clean, uncomplicated, containing real fresh ingredients. Whether it’s ginger beer with less sugar, delicious tonic water, or a lemon-lime club soda, Betty Buzz has you covered. The brand expanded into many national retailers, including Whole Foods, Albertsons, Safeway, and others. Find one near you here.
DRAGON GLASSWARE® is a boutique glassware company in Northern California that offers unique artisan accessories and barware products for the home and kitchen. Featured on TV shows like Westworld on HBO, Star Trek: Picard, and The Orville, the brand’s futuristic designs look like miniature works of art. Other notable officially licensed collaborations include Barbie, Mean Girls, Hot Wheels, and NASA. The products are functional for everyday use and beautiful to use as decor pieces. Diamond Martini Glasses shown in this blog post were inspired by diamonds and designed to enhance the drinking experience. Each glass holds 8 oz of liquid, and helps aerate the drinks as they are poured and swirled inside the glass. Check out the brand’s storefront on Amazon for the current offerings.
Ingredients (for 1 cocktail):
- 2 fl oz (4 tbsp) Abstinence Spirits Lemon Aperitif
- 1 fl oz (2 tbsp) Abstinence Spirits Cape Floral
- Betty Buzz Sparkling Grapefruit (alternative: equal parts fresh grapefruit juice & club soda)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- For garnish: lemon slice, thyme sprig, a few pomegranate seeds
- Crush pomegranate seeds in a shaker to release juices
- Add lemon juice, both Abstinence spirits, and some ice, and shake a few times, or until the drink is cold.
- Pour in a cocktail glass and top off with Betty Buzz Sparkling Grapefruit (or your DIY version).
- For garnish, skewer a lemon slice on a sprig of thyme and sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds. Everything will float nicely on top of your drink.