As part of the #NOWWellness Influencer Program, I received product samples and compensation from NOW® to thank me for my participation, but the product selection and all opinions are genuinely my own.
Easy & Delicious Homemade Cashew Milk Recipe
I talked about this on the blog previously, but in the past year, I completely stopped buying nut milk when I realized how quick and easy it can be to just make your own. Cashew milk is my favorite among nut milks, but it tends to be a little pricier than other varieties at the store. However, I found that it’s slightly cheaper to make it from scratch [when diluted to the same watery consistency as they sell in stores], and all you need is a blender – any blender. But of course, the best part about homemade cashew milk [or any other homemade nut milk] is that you will always know what’s in it. I hate fearmongering as much as you do, but if I have a choice of having a fresher product with a minimal and wholesome ingredient list, I think it’s a no-brainer.
Before I tried making my own cashew milk, I always assumed that it must be a time-consuming or a complicated process. After all, when you compare the prices of dairy versus plant milks, you can easily see the difference. While it’s true that many plant milk varieties need to be strained multiple times to get that nice, uniform, creamy consistency, cashew milk does not. Cashews easily blend into water, so you can whip up a fresh batch in just a few minutes whenever you run out. Besides, as I said in the beginning, once you find out how easy it is to make homemade cashew milk, you’ll never want to buy it at the store ever again!
Two things to keep in mind:
- Your cashews must be raw [unsalted, not roasted, no other additives]. I use NOW Real Food® Organic Raw & Unsalted Cashews ($8.99), and always get great results.
- Be sure to soak the cashews overnight in the fridge with enough water so all of the nuts are submerged. Just rinse them in a colander under running cold water, and blend away!
Now that you know the basics, here’s the recipe I use that my family loves the most. Feel free to tweak it to your own preference, all of these measurements can be easily adjusted.
- 1 cup of NOW Real Food® Organic Raw & Unsalted Cashews, soaked overnight
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tbsp NOW Real Food® Organic Grade A Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- (Optional) 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon – to make horchata-inspired milk
- (Optional) 3 tbsp NOW Real Food® Organic Raw Cacao Powder – to make chocolate milk
- (Optional) 3 tbsp honey + pinch of ground cloves – to make spiced honey milk
- (Optional) halve the amount of water and you’ll get a rich coffee creamer
- (Optional) The liquid will have the consistency of whole milk. To make it more cost effective or if you prefer a lighter version, add more water, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to taste.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. Blending time will vary depending on your appliance.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I love using my homemade cashew milk for cereals, smoothies, lattes, and as a coffee creamer. You can make yummy vegan hot cocoa with it by adding 1 tbsp cacao powder per cup of cashew milk, or turn it into a refreshing horchata-inspired summer drink with a dash of cinnamon served over ice. There are just so many options! If you try this recipe, I would love to hear how you incorporated this homemade cashew milk into your daily life. And if you discover another delicious or unusual combination, feel free to share in the comments below!